Sunday, April 06, 2008

midnight rumblings

I won't jinx it.
I. Will. Not. Jinx. It.

But...

I got home a couple hours ago from Santa Fe, where I spent a very memorable (and important... and emotional... and oh, do I have gray hairs from this trip) weekend celebrating my dad's 60th birthday. An entire novel could follow here, but when I haven't had insomnia for 6 solid days... and when I'm cognizant of the fact that I shouldn't share details like drinking a bottle of champagne with my parents and almost falling over laughing from hearing my mom say "butt" for the first time... I will possibly consider returning to this.

Where was I?

Oh.
The drive home.
7 hours on I-25 North with new treasures (temprary LIBRARIAN TATTOOS... picture a huge skill with 'alas, poor Yorrick!' across my chest, and you have a correct picture)... and Itzahk Pearlman playing in the cd player, and lots of family conversations that somehow all came back to one of my favorite movies-- Broadcast News (oh, the irony)...
and I came home to find an email from a company that shall remain nameless, but it's a major Denver news station saying "we got your resume and we want to learn more. Send us more creative writing samples, please! Love, company anonymous." Um. SH*T, girl. Did you just ask me for CREATIVE WRITING SAMPLES?? All open-ended and vague and Bambi-eyed like that? No sweeter words have ever been spoken by any potential employer. (It's like saying, 'would you like to work in the dessert building? Next to the chocolate sprinkles fairy?')
Shut the front door.

My fingers are double crossed that soon, I too can join my friends in the Hall of Awesomeness.

Speaking of which, my cousin Stew's* wife (Linh, queen of Awesomeness) is having an art show in Vancouver, which include these little tykes: http://www.linhtruong.blogspot.com
* note to self-- write about Canuck connections next time, because Steve Weave (my Canadian platonic soul mate, fabulously music-savvy, Spinal Tap genius) and Cousin Stewart (Oregonian, met his Vietnamese/Chinese wife in Japan and now they're officially...Canadian) deserve their own homage here.

It's 12:14 am, and this is ridiculous-- I have insomnia to attend to. And job butterflies. And a super early morning. And foster kids to volunteer with until late late late. And creative writing to procure. And a life to return to... (and, currently, crazy Pippi Longstocking hair)

And you'll have things you'll want to talk about (ties my shoe and zips up my cardigan)...
I. Will. Too.
See you real soon, neighbor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home