Wednesday, April 02, 2008

still life of true hollywood story and kids' cereal

Waiting to hear about jobs is too stressful, so for now I'm just crossing my fingers that I snag a different kind of gig that is so deliriously dorky, I can hardly stand it. I'll wait until those Easter chicks hatch before I go making a big giggly stink about it.
In the meantime, all of my friends are doing MUCH more exciting things with their lives.

Robin is editing the footage that she filmed in Zimbabwe, and I'm soooo excited to see the finished film.
Glorga is leaving her incredible anecdote-producing job here at the addiction recovery center to go to grad school at Baylor, which is amazing, but not surprising... because Glorga's the smartest one of all of us.
Justin and Dani got engaged on a hike, which is exciting... I love seeing my friends so happy...
Jessie just sent me a picture of her new beagle, and mentioned that she might not be a flight attendant because it interferes with her training for a marathon in Alaska (ooh, exciting)...
Meg got a very exciting teaching job in Denver...
Noah told me he's moving to Sweden next year to study design in the heartbeat of Scandanavian design-ville...

I'm so excited for my friends' adventures. And I will shamelessly live vicariously through them until I get my own version of a Sweden / Waco / Alaskan adventure...

I was in Denver working until almost 7 last night, and my feet are all blistery from running around the city in tall boots. Then I read an article about a man in Gunbarrel being 'kidnapped' and tied to a beam in his basement by some crazy guy who got away before the cops arrived, and of course there were mysterious footsteps on the stairs at 1am when I went to bed, so it's no surprise that I was wide awake in my tree bed until about 3:30. I'm taking advantage of my comp time with slippers and cereal... the cereal box promises a free race-car shaped cereal bowl if I send in the box top. (I splurged on a box of Golden Grahams, I won't lie...)
I miss those cereal days.

After running around Denver with a boom, camera, clipboard and huge talent folder tucked under my chin, I decided to try to wait out the parking Nazis and actually stopped to see a movie (which is funny, considering I mentioned that last time, but wasn't serious). I figured it would give my feet time to return to a somewhat normal size, and I could walk my high-heeled tooties back to my car after 84 minutes.

I was the only person in the theater to see Chop Shop for the first 30 minutes, and the combination of hurt feet, a Blue Moon beer and being really tired fit the mood of the movie pretty well. Despite some poor editing choices, a lousy ending and some very slow plot development halfway through, it was a very intriguing film. It felt like a documentary, and the actors were way too real to not be 85% the characters they were playing. The director also gave every character the same name as the actor (Alejandro was Alejandro, etc)... so I'm looking forward to reading up on it later. It was filmed and based in Queens, and followed a young homeless boy's experience stealing hubcaps, selling candy and dvds and learning the art of under-the-table car repairs in a chop shop that gave him a tiny room to sleep in. Joined by his older, flighty sister, Alejandro does everything he can to keep then afloat, working his hands to the bone to achieve their goal of saving $4500 to buy a van to sell Puerto Rican food out of.

A good movie to see by myself. I needed to contemplate blisters, boys living in Queens, casting options and ambitions of moving to a new city without a lot of people cluttering my mental space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home