Wednesday, November 19, 2008

sweet email for a nightcap

post script...

Earlier, I sent a long mooshy note to work to thank everyone for the exciting weekend in Philly.
Unexpectedly, I got the sweetest and funniest email back from Rose, one of our off-site sales reps who I don't know very well.
I love when someone says something really nice when you're down (totally coincidentally) . It makes my heart flop around like a goldfish in a carnival bag.

(other things I'm a big fan of today:
1. the kindness of strangers when you're traveling. someday i want to write a coffee table book about this... kind strangers are almost THE reason to travel. Even just the nonchalant guys who help girls who are struggling with their bags on airplanes. Best thing ever.

2. my list of words that I hate and almost can't say because they bother me so much. It's an impressively elite list that I stand by. Today's additions: maven; uranium

3. getting a haircut when I'm feeling blue (or feisty). I've been trying to grow my hair out forever, so whenever I have a real doozy of a day like today, it takes all the willpower I have to not march off to the hair salon and just ask them to start cutting at will.

4. numbered lists. and reiterating every month or so how much i love numbered lists.

5. the subconscious part of me that expects to find a long, hand-written love letter waiting for me every time I check the mail. Somehow, I started quasi-expecting to find one when I was about 11 (while checking the mail daily, neurotically, for one of my dad's manuscripts to arrive from NYC), and the thought has stuck with me ever since. Maybe someday it will happen. For now, it's still just Xcel bills and coupons for oil changes, which is all the romance a girl could ask for.)

From: Rose
Subject: RE: a ton of photos and enthusiasm from the Freddies

Jane - You are by far one my favorite people! I loved the photos, I loved the captions on the photos and your sense of gratitude and your attitude are just second to none! I am dying about the gates of hell comment that is SO LOL I love it. You looked stunning by the way! You should sign autographs at the company lunch- you’re practically a celebrity now!

From: Jane
To: Staff (;all;)
Subject: a ton of photos and enthusiasm from the Freddies

Good morning, everyone!

I’m back (and in a mild state of shock) after an intense 68 hour trip to Philly to accept the Freddie on behalf of everyone here. It was an incredible honor to represent our company… it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had! Thank you so much to everyone for making such a meaningful, professional program, and for letting me take this trip.

Each Freddie recipient got whisked onto the stage to deliver a speech, and what I chose to say was:

“The people I work with are a passionate group who care very deeply about the importance of prenatal, childbirth and parenting education, and I’m thrilled to be representing my colleagues here tonight. For someone who’s very young in her career and in this industry, I’m inspired by the professionalism, dedication and passion of the people I work with, and of the people who are here tonight. On my first day as a video producer, I was in an edit suite alone, editing footage of a family meeting their newborn for the first time. It was the first time that I realized the impressive impact that healthcare media can have, so I am honored to be part of this wonderful celebration.”

Here are a zillion or so photos of the weekend (sorry-- you know how much I love photos…)

The view from the hotel! City hall, very eerie looking at night…

The ballroom… for each award, they would announce the category, the bio of the company that won,

and then turn off the lights to show clips from the video (on both screens, right & left). Then they’d

announce your name, and a live band would play a song as you nervously climbed the stairs, shook the presenter’s hand,

and walked (shakily) up to the podium to give a speech. Intimidating!! (we had to wait backstage before

our award, which was even more intimidating because there were producers and presenters running around with

microphones and ear buds, yelling “cue music, cue presenter! dim the lights! The Discovery Health Channel’s table needs more dinner rolls, go, go, go!)

Just after giving the speech and almost falling over when they handed me the award (Fred’s almost 10lbs!)…

The event lasted nearly 5 hours, so I had Freddie help the ladies freshen up their makeup

The art museum… the famous steps from Rocky (yes, I ran up all of them and yelled “Adriaaaaanne!” after singing the theme song. I couldn’t resist …)

Ben Franklin, appropriately seated inside the Franklin Institute


At the Gates of Hell! Incredible sculpture at the Rodin Museum entrance… (“The Thinker” is also in front. Very cool! I said to the family next to me, “I always wondered who I’d meet at the gates of hell”. Unfortunately, they were extremely religious and not amused by my early-morning humor, which I discovered when they told their 2 and 4 year old children that heathens like me would one day go through these very gates if we didn’t repent. WOW!)

Sculpture of the various constellations… incredible blue sky on my last day

Thanks again for an incredible experience. I brought the ‘brochure’ back with me, as well as an ‘inspirational book’ by the evening’s host, Daryn Kagan (an anchor for CNN)… both are on my desk if you need some reading material. Happy Monday, everyone

Jane K. Simmons
Producer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home