Tuesday, June 10, 2008

late-night croons of slim cessna on a cool monday night







2am.., and jane's awake. with the spirit of the revival music loud in her ears and the feeling of friendship close to her heart.

best springtime of my life... worst springtime ever to have a 9-5 job. so it goes.

meaningful quotes from my night (and also last night, because Meredith and I are school night warriors)

> the voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes [marcel proust]

> "excuse me, but are you James Joyce?" [throws head back and laughs] "No!" "Are you potentially channeling James Joyce's spirit through you at this moment?" "No." "Huh. Ok. I'm impressed by the resemblance-- although I don't mean to slight your own sense of style." "No..." "Those are the most amazing glasses I've ever seen!" "I know. Don't they look like James Joyce's glasses?"

> isn't it a little sad to anyone else that the moral of the Wizard of Oz is that Kansas was home all along? And you were destined to live in black and white, without the technicolor adventure all around you?

> listen up, good people-- the good people of Colorado. My friend Munly has something he'd like to say to you.
>This is how it's always been! This is how we do things in the countryyyyyy.

> "Let's have some Jameson." ... "And I think we also need donuts." ... [in unison] "Yes. Donuts."

> "I need to tell you something. We're going to call you. Don't answer. We're going to leave you a song." (an hour of rehearsal goes by... the phone is set to speaker... our song is played... we stop and have a ten minute discussion about what dorks we are, and what notes we missed, and why bras are REALLY uncomfortable if you're a cellist... and the muffled sounds of brassiers being pulled off under many layers of clothes and thrown on the floor with a resounding, "there, NOW I can be an artist in peace"... just to hear (7 minutes later): 'your message has been recorded. to listen to your recording, press...*click*)

Jane.
Go to bed.

A painful, painful day of work lies ahead.

[the moon is waxing crescent]
[goodnight]

2 Comments:

Blogger meredith said...

how wonderful our lives are. how wonderful they intersect with such loveliness. where did you get those pictures? i saw the guy taking them with his fancy lens...
i love you. and jameson. and donuts.
especially all three together.

1:42 AM  
Blogger JustJane said...

I did not get them from the guy and his fancy lens... alas... (I *did* ogle his camera, however). They're from Slim Cessna's webpage. Aren't they great?! The one with light bursting around them as they ask the crowd for a hallelujah is currently my desktop wallpaper at work (for the good people of Colorado...)

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home