Wednesday, May 28, 2008

lights will guide you home, and illuminate your bones...

New essay up soon on dad's website... about my current obsession with lists and my eternal obsession with LeVar Burton...

Went to see Young at Heart by myself in Boulder tonight. Didn't feel very well, didn't really have the heart to go to the Tivoli by myself, so I just stayed in town. The movie was really odd-- the filmmaking was terrible, the story was bittersweet but also odd in itself. I wish it had been a little more lovingly made... every shot was from 7" above the person being interviewed, or down on the floor looking up, or at an unflattering (almost fisheye) close-up. Most of the movie was handheld and out of focus, and the twerpy filmmaker narrated it himself, giving the whole production a high-pitched, effeminate, rather nervous feel.
The old folks singing punk music, on the other hand, was interesting.
Fred Knittle, the man who sang "Fix You" by Coldplay, made me cry on my pink coat. It was such a sweet scene. He had a beautiful voice and a delightful sense of humor, and I will remember him for a long time. I wish he was my friend. (a sweet video of him singing in his house: http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=1584620&vid=222197)


After the movie got out, I was starting to lose my voice,and I felt really out of sorts... walked next door and bought Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's 'Egmont'. I drove around in the dark singing along to requiem, even though it still sounded all sinus-infectiony from a few weeks ago... and rain was hitting my windshield in big fat drops. The countryside is so dark out here... the little farm houses that run East along Jay Road were all dark except for the flicker of televisions. It made me wonder if I would ever feel scared going up a long dirt driveway into such a dark house on cool, eerie spring nights like this.

Not much to report except a general feeling of too much energy, and almost no energy at the same time.
I copped out and made a frozen pizza for dinner.
It was surprisingly delicious. Finally, a frozen pizza that turns out crunchy and pizza-tasting.

Babbling.
Off to bed.
Maybe I can drink healthy tea in my sleep and wake up fully restored.

Cheers to all my sleeping friends tonight-- may your pillows be soft, and your dreams be sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home