Tuesday, January 27, 2009

it's bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a... what?

Oh no we di'int.

Well today was just a little rollercoaster of excitement.

Things have been good at work this week (knock on wood), although the research I'm doing is SO GRIM right now... this morning I was reading a *horrific* story about a woman whose baby was born 'with alcohol on his breath-- already drunk'... which was upsetting enough as it was... and I turned the page to see a photo of a comparison between a normal infant's brain and a FAS baby's brain, and I (actually) almost gagged at my desk. It's a really good thing my boss was in a meeting.
I think I had 3 mugs of tea before I was restored to factory settings... I felt pale until I got home.

(*I've developed a dumb little rewards system for days like today. Survive not vomiting into trash can at my desk; indulge in a little pop music singing & dancing on my drive through dark country roads home at 10pm. Gwen Stefani's 'bananas' came on, which makes me laugh... I got taunted for watching 'the gilmore girls' but that show had the funniest, fastest references ever. Proust, Nabokov, The Bangles, the Civil War... all within 5 minutes and they'd be on to even more obscure high-brow jokes. One of the best was an episode where Sebastian Bach, playing himself, is so frustrated with his small-town rock band, and he's forced to play a girl's bat mitzvah. There's a quick scene of him in a sparkly tux or something, staring ahead with the creepiest look on his face, playing a cocktail lounge version of the song... 'it's bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s'... I laugh every single time I hear the real version thinking of Bach's rendition. I dare you to turn the radio station until you hit the chorus... I double dog dare you. Impossible. Because rhythmic spelling is the devil's elixir.)

Invited myself over to Justin and Dani's in lieu of taco Tuesday when I found out that JC and Ekki had rented 'Zombie Strippers'. Not really sure what I was expecting, but I was pretty darn excited about zombie strippers. And... it was... maybe in the top 8 most offensive movies I've ever seen. Definitely in the worst 10 movies I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of bad movies.
Ugh. I might have to shower before I go to bed.
Definitely keeping a copy of that for myself just as a reminder that there IS a movie called Zombie Strippers, and this information needs to be shared with others.
(During the credits, I noticed that Jenna Jameson was in it?! Damnit... this was need-to-know information. I don't even know which zombie stripper she was. That would've totally made the movie better, had I only known)

Still in a mix cd making frenzy... some are (way) better than others, especially since my music is all chaotic and all over the place at the moment. I'm making an awesome mix for Karsten that is about a year overdue. I wish I was a better artist because I was thinking it would be fun to make a watercolor cd cover...

Mad Men continues to be a way better show than I would've guessed. I never would've watched it, even flipping past it on tv, if Tom hadn't forced me into the commitment of Netflix nights. But it's fun.

And, while I'm killing time while I wait for another mix to burn... I think I've discovered the fix for my sleep issues...
1. I stopped reading Don Delillo's "White Noise". I finally picked it up again and finished it. No more late nights writing notes in the margins. It's over and done with. Not sure how I felt about it, but like Zombie Strippers, probably more disturbing than it was emotionally satisfying

2. Sheets straight out of the dryer. I slept like a dead bug last night.

3. reading a little 'mental floss' before bed. ridiculous trivia is weirdly relaxing.

4. have a 10-14 minute sweet conversation with a friend before passing out. that's the best.

5. nope. actually, the warm dryer sheets that smell like Tide are the best. But friend conversations come in 2nd.

It's Tuesday and I'm already thinking about the weekend.
Excited for my new eccentric apartment decor to arrive... even though I'm not sure how we'll get it up there without a 700' ladder. And there's that whole 'fear of heights' thing.
Excited for my 'volunteer orientation' on Thursday. It's been two months without the kiddos and I'm eager to learn about this new opportunity... hopefully this one will have more opportunities for connection and less getting-kicked-in-the-shins.


in the words of some guy from zombie strippers...
'time to get in the *#&$^@* bread truck and drive your buns outta here"

-janekathryn

ps... this is pretty magical:
http://www.moustacheme.com/

the website's name keeps getting stuck in my head. I was stuck in traffic on the way to JC's and I kept hearing this voice in my head going 'mustache me!' at cars trying to merge unsuccessfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home